Sunday, February 9, 2014

Cultural Awareness

Although I had never seen it before, culture is often compared to an iceberg. The Iceberg Model of Culture shows cultural aspects that are more obvious at the "tip" and things that may not be as apparent below the surface. The more visible characteristics of one culture might include the flag, language, holidays, music and arts. It is important to remember that what lies beneath the surface, even though less visible, plays an important role in the characteristics we do see. One example used in the article was religious beliefs influence on holiday customs. We have to dig into the "why" under the surface to fully understand, and more importantly, appreciate the diversity of our world.

My perception of the Scottish/Irish/Celtic man would be Mel Gibson in Braveheart. I think Warrior!! I could actually go further by saying, I think whiskey drinking, less disciplined warrior; but, fierce fighter all the same. However, as I become aware of the facts I see that Celtics are more than fighter or bagpipe players. They were farmers, musicians, loyal family men and so much more. In order for my cultural awakening to take place I must understand the Four Degrees of Cultural Awareness; Parochial Culture Stage, Ethnocentric Culture Stage, Synergistic Culture Stage, and Participatory Third Culture Stage.

The Parochial Culture Stage would be described as one who thinks everyone everywhere does things just like they do. The Ethnocentric Culture Stage acknowledges others have different ways, but believes their way is just better than anyone else. The Synergistic Culture Stage people are aware of the differences in culture and are willing to do what is best for the situation. People in this stage realize that diversity is helpful.
The Participatory Third  Culture Stage brings different cultures together to create a new shared culture.

It is my opinion, the best stage for me while traveling abroad is the Synergistic Culture Stage. I feel I want to treasure my own customs, beliefs, and traditions while having the opportunity to experience that of a different country. The fact that the other country was home to my ancestors makes it even more important for me to see and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment